The history of Kuringa Drive has been anything but brief. The discussion has been going on for most of the last decade, but with the construction of the bikeway work in full swing, the end is in sight.
Kuringa Drive connects Belconnen and Gungahlin. The missing link is only 1.3 km long along from Owen Dixon Drive to Barton Highway. Kuringa Drive is a narrow country road standard without cycling lanes in this section. Riding there is unsafe and likely to aggravate motorists.
The Kuringa Drive bikeway is under construction. The safety will be improved and travel time saved when the bikeway is finally finished late this year.
With the ACT Election, in 2020 the ACT Government finally decided to deliver on the promise of building a bikeway from the 2016 Election. This may be a pattern in the ACT Election, as the cycling commitments from the last election have faded into silence.
Canberra.bike has discussed Kuringa Drive several times. Read more here.
- 2021-02-15 2020-21 ACT Budget: details but nothing new
- 2020-10-12 Kuringa Drive and Owen Dixon Drive intersection: waiting since 2016
- 2020-09-22 ACT Labor’s cycling policy: 2020 ACT Election
- 2020-09-10 Kuringa Drive Owen Dixon Drive Intersection Tender
- 2020-07-01 Kuringa Drive missing link
- 2020-04-24 Pedal Power’s recommendations: ACT stimulus package
- 2020-04-24 Missing link: filling the gaps in bike networks