The Molonglo 3 East Concept Plan is still in development. 2022 may see it finalised and added to the Territory Plan. We expect the interest in Molonglo 3 East to grow and provide here a snapshot of where things stand.
The recent preliminary concept plan from the Outcomes Report, Molonglo 3 East Planning and Infrastructure Study (March 2021) already provides some clarity and represents the preferred design of the ACT Government at this time. More work is to be done.
11.1 CONCEPT PLAN
Key elements of the Molonglo 3 East Design Concept Plan (figure 11.1) are:
– Bindubi Street Extension connects to the northern end of John Gorton Drive serving local traffic in the northOutcomes Report, Molonglo 3 East Planning and Infrastructure Study, March 2021, 88.
– The secondary Collector Road connects from the southern end of John Gorton Drive past the group centre to the proposed East-West Arterial serving the majority of neighbourhood units
– Collector Roads are in the centre of neighbourhoods to provide maximum access to public transport located along this road
– A slow speed collector road joins these Collector Roads past the schools and group centre
– This road will only service local traffic and buses within this central zone as all other neighbourhoods can exit Molonglo 3 via the main Collector Roads
– The Intertown Public Transport (ed. light rail) corridor de-couples from the road reserve past the primary school and group centre with a stop terminating at a linear open space between the group centre and primary school
– Density is in areas of high amenity and access to public transport